Thursday, August 16, 2012

A little troubling

So recently I just started playing a game on facebook called songpop. its cute. you have to listen to song and either name the song or the artist in a challange against your friends. you also earn coins and points. I just earned enough coins to buy the kpop category and I was so happy. But then a strange thing happened. My non kpop listening friends, were beating me at my own category. How is this even possible? It's a timed game, so they cant pause and google. What happened, I realized, is that I dont know as much kpop as I had thought.
So im sitting here realizing that, I really only like a select few groups. Does that even really make me a kpop fan? And some of the groups I DO like, I dont even know all of their songs. This has all made me feel like a horrible kpop fan, wondering if im even worthy enough to be called a kpop fan.
It could be said that, where I live, there isnt much in the way of even getting my hands on kpop. I have gotten some cd's from the library, but its not a huge collection they have. There is the internet, but even sometimes that is limited as well.
Then again, as i've said before, im not a teenager. When I was one, I knew all the top hits, the american ones of course, seeing as kpop didnt exist in my world back then.
I knew everything. The artists, the song titles, the lyrics. Now my knowledge of the music I like is basically truncated. Maybe it's because im older and have grown up and lack the vitality of youth. It's just a struggle to be an older fan of something new and popular. As people age, they tend to stick to the tunes they know from when they were coming into their own as an adult, and soon, they become stuck in the past. I dont want to be that woman, stuck in the 80's and 90's. I refuse to do it. I do know that I cannot tolerate current american music, save for a song or two here and there. I also know that I do love certain people from Taiwan and some kpop groups. But what does that make me?
*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment